Home Improvement

Preventing an Electrical Fire

We do not really realize it, but electrical fires are very common. In fact, it is estimated that 6% of house fires are actually because of electrical issues. Plus, with electrical fires, there is also a higher likelihood of you and/or the house sustaining serious, and even fatal injuries. However, electrical fires also happen to be preventable, so there are a lot of things that we can do in the electrical side of things that can help us decrease the likelihood of a potential electrical fire.

  • The best thing you can do for your house is to get an annual electrical inspection done. The electrician will come in and check all of your wiring and assess your voltage level to make sure that everything is in proper condition, and in case they notice any problem, they can get it fixed. This way there is no risk of old, loose, or improper wiring causing you any potential issues.
  • Another common reason for electrical fires is faulty appliances and outlets. Appliances that have the wiring exposed or are too old, plus electrical outlets that are unable to take on a load of an appliance can spell disaster together. This is why you need to be careful about the condition of your electrical appliances to make sure that no wiring is exposed, and make sure that your electrical outlets are not compromised in any way.
  • Having multiple devices plugged into an extension cord is also dangerous. This puts a lot of load on the extension cord, and in turn, the electrical outlet to which the extension cord is connected. This is why most electricians recommend not to connect too many devices on a single extension cord so that your outlet is able to take on the electrical load of the appliances and devices.